Monday, November 24, 2008

An epiphany.

Obviously, things have been rough for me. Between everything going on, it's been taking quite a toll on me.

So tonight, while I was driving 40 all the way home from work (I work 30 miles away, so obviously it took me quite awhile to get home), I was cursing the snow. I drive a Chevy Metro, so snow doesn't treat my already problematic car well. I was getting off my exit on I-75 as I was talking to Joni, when I got a phone call. Joni and I said bye, and I took my other call. Tyler asked me to go eat with him, so I told him I'd meet him.

I wear cloth Vans most of the time, and always to work, so I was cursing the snow more as it started filling the holes in my shoes, packing in the snow. My feet were cold, my hands andface were cold. I was just angry with the world. I noticed people building snow men, having snowball fights, and I didn't understand the joy they were taking in this awful condensation filling the campus.

So Tyler and I ate. I wasn't surprised I was feeling better already, Tyler has that effect on people (one of many reasons I try to keep him close). So we walked out together, and he left when we walked by the Jungle, where he lives. As I was walking through the snow, I started noticing how beautiful everything was. The trees, the apartments in the Village, the parked cars with icing. As I kept walking, I saw more snowmen. Suddenly I saw the makers for what they were. Children at heart. I started seeing the true beauty in what the snow was bringing out in them. They were having fun being small again, when snow brought new, exciting change, and a hope of snow days (which I think we're almost all hoping for, to bring us an extra long Thanksgiving break).

As I kept walking toward my apartment, I saw a girl looking at me, balling up some snow. As I predicted, she threw it at me, and it landed about five feet short from me. I simply laughed and said "Good effort!" She smiled and said "I didn't think you actually wanted to be hit." As she said this her friend bent over, and balled some more, and threw a much more accurate shot at my leg, which I managed to dodge. The three of us laughed again, and I kept walking, while they continued building their snowmen.

I love that for that moment in time, it didn't matter we didn't know each other. To be honest, had I had gloves on, I would have retaliated. Snow is bringing out the kids in everyone here, and I love that. For the first time since the first week of school, everyone seems stress-free. For this single night, we can relax, and enjoy the snow, and communally hope for that snow day tomorrow.

I finally realized why I'm in love with winter. This story alone is why.

5 comments:

jporterGOP said...

I really wish I could have participated in the snowball fights today...however, I'm super loaded with homework tonight. : (

Anonymous said...

I had those same thoughts last night as I stepped out of grandma's quilting room. Everything is beautiful.

carriegel said...

i love winter. i don't understand why more people don't see the beauty of it. every time it snows is like a new beginning. everything is so clean and white.

JP said...

I still don't know what to say.
=)

carriegel said...

if this says carriegel its really megawattmiler! the first big snow fall of the year on campus we always had a giant snowball fight on the quad, its one of my best memories of school.